Times are changing for sure. We used to spend time worrying about our safety and privacy in real life, making sure we kept our documents and money secure. These days, we worry much more about our information and activity online and who might be trying to access it. For personal users and businesses especially, it is crucial to protect your information and data. VPNs provide the best method of keeping yourself and your online traffic private and secure. Providers of VPN like ProtonVPN work around the clock to assure your safety.
The market is flooded with free and paid VPN providers. Companies like ProtonVPN stand up with their offering of high levels of security and privacy. Similar to the highly secure ProtonMail email service, ProtonVPN focus on providing users with total anonymity. ProtonVPN is not one of the top dogs of VPN providers. In fact, providers like NordVPN and ExpressVPN exceed in a lot of categories that ProtonVPN fails to impress at. However, this does not mean their service is not good enough to protect your online existence.
ProtonVPN offers 4 levels of membership that vary in offerings and prices. First one is a Free option that delivers slow speeds and basic protection. Next is the Basic model priced at $5, followed by Plus $10, and Visionary $30 selections. These prices are for monthly memberships. When it comes to pricing, ProtonVPN is not overly expensive, but it is definitely more expensive than some of their biggest competitors. Visionary membership gives you all the bells and whistles of ProtonVPN, but at a $30/month price mark, it can be out of reach for a lot of people.
While ProtonVPN might not be the cheapest or fastest we were still able to stream on US Netflix. The lack of high speeds does cause some lagging and buffering, but nothing major. For personal VPN users bypassing geo-blocks is the most common reason for using VPN, after the security of course. Accessing blocked websites is a must when you are trying to get your work done or watch your shows while travelling.
In-Depth Look at ProtonVPN Offerings
If there are cheaper and faster VPN providers, why do people still use ProtonVPN?
- ProtonVPN has a medium-sized server network with 698 servers in 44 countries.
- When we manually selected a nearby server, rather than using the Fast Connection option, we saw that connection speeds only decreased by 55%. This percentage increased slightly when choosing servers from Europe and Asia
- ProtonVPN’s offers P2P file sharing. Protecting you during downloads of torrents. This provider also works without issues with several torrent clients.
- ProtonVPN has a strict no-logs policy. This means that, unlike free VPNs, ProtonVPN will not record and store your online activities in a log. Other providers record and sell your online footsteps.
- Security is key with ProtonVPN. Your IP address is masked by a built-in DNS leak protection.
- ProtonVPN uses AES-256 encryption with a 4096-bit RSA key exchange. AES encryption is the best in the market.
- Perfect Forward Secrecy feature protects your connections by assigning a unique new encryption key each time you use it.
- ProtonVPN supports OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPsec protocols.
- Based out of privacy loving Switzerland, ProtonVPN keeps no logs and protects your online activity completely.
There are certainly faster and cheaper providers out in the market. If you are simply concerned about keeping your data and activity as safe and private as possible then ProtonVPN might just be the right provider for you. Do your research and identify what you need VPN for. This will help determine which provider is perfect for you, and don’t be surprised if it turns out to be Proton.